October is the month of the Rosary! Get your Marian grace on!
Saint Louis de Montfort wrote a book called The Secret of the Rosary. Here, we’ll mention some epic quotes to motivate us to pick back up this devotion in case you’ve gotten away from it.
- “It sets us on fire with love of Our Blessed Lord.” Do you feel like you’re currently lukewarm in your faith? The Rosary is the answer! How does it set us on fire for Jesus if it’s mostly Hail Mary’s, you ask? Well, as you pray the Hail Mary’s, you’re meditating of events of Jesus’ life. Boom!
2. “Blessed Alan also testified that he had delivered a large number of people who were possessed by putting the Rosary around their necks.” Ok, so maybe you’re not demonically possessed, but you can be proactive by protecting yourself! De Montfort mentioned other stories to the effect of the rosary on your person such as having it in your hand. I personally always have it in my pant pocket. By the way, don’t be that guy who wears the rosary to be fashionable. Remember that it’s a sacramental.
3. “Group recitation…is of the greatest benefit to our souls because normally our minds are far more alert during public prayer than they are when we pray alone.” I think it’s safe to say we know this truth from another form of exercise. Physical exercise that is. I know I go easy on myself when I work out by myself. But when I work out in a group? Let’s just say I kill it.
4. “The word Rosary means “Crown of Roses,” that is to say that every time people say the Rosary devoutly they place a crown of 153 white roses and 16 red roses upon the heads of Jesus and Mary. Being heavenly flowers these roses will never fad or lose their exquisite beauty.” How’s that for being a romantic catholic?!
5. Praying the rosary gives “us graces in abundance during our lifetime, peace at death, and glory in eternity.” So we benefit in the present moment as well as investing in our future!
6. And just because we care not just about ourselves, but about others as well. Through the rosary, we “help the members of the Church Militant and to lessen the pains of the Church Suffering.” In case you’re not familiar, Church Militant refers to all of us still living on this side of heaven, Church Suffering refers to the souls in Purgatory. Maybe you have a loved one who’s passed away? Pray the rosary for their intention!
7. Do you have someone you care about who you would like to share your love for Jesus? Before you talk to them, you can pray the rosary for a more effective talk. De Montfort mentioned the story of our Lady telling St. Dominic, “‘My son,’ she said one day, ‘do not be surprised that your sermons fail to bear the results you had hoped for. You are trying to cultivate a piece of ground which has not had any rain.'”
Going old school and Marian,